Thursday, March 17, 2011

Emily Rooney

What is art? I am now realizing as an artisit, this is a question I will continue to face all my life. And honestly, I get more and more confused about the answer each day. Today we visited the Tyler Gallery which was displaying the work of the Tyler Photography Grad, Emily Rooney. Aside from Rubens mentioning the artist was a photographer, I would have never guessed. If I remember corectly there were a total of two pictures; the rest of the installation consisted of ceramic, sculpture and film. I will say I was intrigued by the ceramic approach she took since this is the medium I choose to work in however, other than that, I was left confused. It's a little frustrating when people around you are psyched on the work you're looking at and talking about how good it is when you don't really "get it". I'm not knocking Emily's show. I think the most important part of art is that what you make has an effect on you, it's a piece of you. I just don't know how to seperate the things that were layed out in front of me from a collection of meaningless 'stuff' I could find in someone's house. I've always struggled with the question why can't people just make things to make them. As I get older I realize there actually is a reason behind everything, whether it was intentional or not. I wasn't able to get a clear grasp on Emily's message today. Is there even a message? Maybe her show is just up for interpretation. My concern however, doesn't lie in what the message behind this work is trying to say as much as it does with the possibility of me being incapable to notice it. Are people really always able to see a deeper meaning in work or do they just bullshit themselves into thinking they "get it"? Do not take this response to mean I wish all art was straightforward and laid out in front of me. The beauty in Emily's piece comes from the fact she was able to express herself, her thoughts, her opinions in her own way. That in itself is such a gorgeous thing. When you ask me to analyze her show in terms of whether it's symbolizing racism or equality or religion, my answer is I have no idea.
http://www.temple.edu/tyler/exhibitions/

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jillian, great response. If I were you I'd go back to the show by yourself and spend time in looking at that stuff as if it were a house you walked into. She IS also "MAKING STUFF" but everything she, you or I make has a connection to what we think, how we see, you know what I mean?!
    Try to simply go back and look at it, listen without trying to "get it".

    Thanks,

    Rubens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes in art school we're just expected to see the bigger picture or make work that "means something". That's great don't get me wrong, but in my experience especially, it is easy to get hung up on over thinking sometimes. If you have time, I'm attaching a link to check out. It's work by a ceramicist who actually went to Tyler. She demoed for a class of mine last week. It was really refreshing to see her approach to her work because before listening to her talk, she passed around some of her pieces and they're crazy. We were all anticipating some funky concept behind them when really she said she's just interested in playing with shapes. She said "creating these little guys is just fun."

    http://www.lindsayfeuer.com/

    ReplyDelete